Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Critique of Mark Richard's "Strays"

That woman, that man, them children--they a whole family of abominations. You know she waltzed in here today, not a single "thank you" for all I done while she was away where ever she had gone leaving her children with her trifling, gambling, God-forsaken brother-in-law. Them boys call him Uncle Trash, and I'll say there ain't a more fitting name for that man, no. He ain't nothing but po' white trash. Leaving them children in that house like that, letting them burn it down. Then she have the nerve to come into my store tryna buy cigarettes on credit--I say, "Miss Missy, your credit been exhausted long time 'go. It's 'bout time you and yours take your business elsewhere until you can pay us Cuts back for all we done gave you out of our pocket." These white folks 'round here think we ain't got no sense, think we 'on't know how to run our own business. Buying on credit all the time--I know they don't try them tricks at no white stores. If it was up to me, we wouldn't let nobody pay on credit--no colored folk, no Indian folk, and sure not no white folk. But Mr. Cuts, he think he wear the pants 'round here, and he just pity them po' li'l country white folk so. When I proudly told him what I said to that woman, he told Russell to hand deliver them cigarettes to her for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment